Enjoy daytime and illuminated-evening winter treks at Mirror Lake and Devil’s Lake Sate Parks. Use the Inn’s complimentary Redfeather Snowshoes or rent cross-country ski sets at two nearby outlets. Afterward warm in our sauna and soaking tubs.
Every winter the Friends of Mirror Lake State Park volunteers host a Torch Lite Night Hike, Snowshoe And Ski, at this 2,200-acre park between Baraboo and Lake Delton, Wis. They line two, one-mile trails with torches, one for skiers and the other for everyone else, for an enchanting evening trekking through the snow-capped woods and fields. Lingering light from the Jan. 2 Full Wolf Supermoon further illuminates the trails. The Friends offer free hot beverages and sweet treats to enjoy around the bonfire beside the 137-acre lake fed by Dell Creek.
- Jan. 5, 2019, 6:00 p.m.–8:00 p.m.
- Feb. 2, 2019, 6:00 p.m.–8:00 p.m.
Arrive early for these popular events to ensure a parking space. Meet at the beach picnic area. Mirror Lake is an easy 25-minute drive north of the Inn at Wawanissee Point bed and breakfast.
Also at Mirror Lake State Park ADDITIONAL 2019 DETAILS COMING SOON
- Jan. 20 and Feb. 10, 2018: Snowshoe Hike To Fern Dell Gorge’s Ice Formations 10:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m. Join naturalist Marty Heidke and the Friends of Mirror Lake State Park on a guided hike or snowshoe into this small sandstone gorge of Fern Dell Gorge State Natural Area, within the park. Learn some of the area’s history and see the colorful, 10-foot tall ice formations from water seeping through the steep sandstone walls. Space in the gorge is limited, register by calling the park office at 608-254-2333 or e-mail email@example.com. Meet at the park office to carpool to the trailhead. Bring water and camera, and snowshoes and hiking poles if you wish.
Save time: purchase a 2019 Wisconsin State Parks annual admission sticker online here from the Friends of Wisconsin State Parks, where you can also donate to help keep Wisconsin’s state parks open. Allow a few days before you check in for it to arrive by mail. Or arrive early to purchase an annual or daily pass at the park entrance.
If you have questions about Mirror Lake State Park and its events call 608-254-2333 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Rent cross-country ski sets next door at Devil’s Head Resort www.devilsheadresort.com or Wildside Action Sports www.wildbaraboo.com in west Baraboo, which will also wax your skis.
At Devil’s Lake Sate Park in Baraboo, five minutes west of the Inn:
- Jan. 26, 2019: Winter Photo Hike-Snowshoe, 4:00 p.m.–5:30 p.m. This 2-mile hike or snowshoe trek begins in Steinke Basin along the rescue road, then to the top of east bluff, some of the terrain is rugged and difficult, but not too steep. By hiking near dusk we may get a beautiful sunset for photographing from atop the bluff. Bring a flashlight or headlamp, snowshoes (limited pairs available from the Nature Center), and dress in layers. Meet at the Steinke Basin parking lot along County Road DL between the north shore entrance and State Highway 113.
- Jan. 19, 2019: Learn To Ice Fish, 1:00 p.m.–4:00 p.m. Meet at the north shore’s Rock Elm Shelter. Dress warmly and come learn to ice fish from volunteers and staff, adults and children are welcome. Equipment and bait are provided. No fishing license is required for this free fishing weekend. Warm by bon fire on shore. This event is held only if the weather creates safe-ice conditions.
- Feb. 9, 2019: Candlelight Hike And Snowshoe, 6:00 p.m.–8:30 p.m. Meet at the north shore’s Rock Elm Shelter. Enjoy a self-guided snowshoe or hike through the park along an illuminated trail, and then warm by the campfire and make s’mores with the Friends of Devil’s Lake State Park.
If you have questions about Devil’s Lake State Park and its events call 608-356-8301 ext. 140 or e-mail SusanA.Johansen@wisconsin.gov.
A Day At Mirror Lake State Park
This is best place to cross-country ski groomed trails nearest the Inn at Wawanissee Point. The park has 19 miles of cross-country ski trails plus 2.6 miles of snowshoeing trails and 20 miles of hiking trails.
- Download a winter trail map here.
The Park encompasses the Fern Dell Gorge State Natural Area where you can see interesting ice formations accessible by trail with or without snowshoes.
Dine in Reedsburg 18 minutes west of the park, at one of many restaurants along the picturesque, historic downtown Main Street. Here you’ll find the state’s smallest microbrewery, Corner Pub Brewery, which is also Sauk County’s oldest operating tavern. Or stop at J’s Pub & Grill at Reedsburg’s east edge for freshly prepared food by Chef Jayson.
Or eat in Lake Delton, five minutes north of the park, or 15 minutes away in downtown Wisconsin Dells.
After playing in the snow pamper each other with our…