The Inn at Wawanissee Point is located near the town of Baraboo, Wisconsin, right in the heart of the state’s picturesque Driftless Region. The area is well known for its dramatic vistas, including the one enjoyed from our Inn. Beyond the scenic beauty of the area, there are plenty of recreational activities and fun things to do. Top activities include hiking, biking, kayaking/canoeing, birding, and so much more. Join us at the Inn at Wawanissee Point this summer. Here, you’ll experience the unbelievable beauty of Wisconsin’s Driftless Region from our luxury villa, set on 42 acres of pristine wooded forest on the Baraboo Bluffs overlooking Lake Wisconsin. Book your room today!
10 Fun Things to do Near Baraboo, Wisconsin
The Inn at Wawanissee Point is just minutes from Devil’s Lake State Park, and just 20 minutes from the Wisconsin Dells, two popular recreational areas in Wisconsin. Whether you want to enjoy a leisurely and relaxing getaway or a vacation packed with outdoor adventure, you can have it right here in Baraboo. Here are 10 fun things to do near our Bed and Breakfast this summer:
- Go Hiking! Devil’s Lake State Park is an obvious and popular hiking destination. Other great places include Natural Bridge State Park and Natural Area, Rocky Arbor State Park, Mirror Lake State Park, and the Ice Age National Scenic Trail. We also have maps available that highlight some of the trails near the Inn at Wawanissee Point. From our property, you can enjoy 13.2 miles of intermediate to difficult trails that connect to Parfrey’s Glen State Natural Area and Devil’s Lake State Park, concluding at the Roznos Meadow adjacent the Riverland Conservancy’s Merrimac Preserve. It’s truly a hiker’s paradise!
- The Baraboo River offers an incredibly scenic place to go kayaking or canoeing. Thanks to dam removal completed in 2001, the river now flows freely for 120 miles. Local outfitters, such as Beyond Boundaries, rent boats for your convenience. You can also take to Devils Lake for kayaking, canoeing, boating, and fishing. They offer kayak and row-boat rentals. The Upper River near Wisconsin Dells is also a popular place for boating near Baraboo.
- Try some of the area’s mountain biking trails. Popular places include Devil’s Head Resort, Devil’s Lake State Park, Mirror Lake State Park, and the Wisconsin 400 State Trail.
- Birdwatching in the Baraboo Bluffs is extraordinary. This area is the largest, contiguous block of oak and maple forest in the Upper Midwest, and is home to over 135 species of breeding birds, including some rare and threatened species. Our deck is a great place for birding, but other popular places include Leopold-Pine Island Important Bird Area, Baxter’s Hollow State Natural Area, Ferry Bluff State Natural Area, Great Wisconsin Birding and Nature Trail, Spring Green Preserve, Riverland Conservancy-Merrimac Preserve, and Parfrey’s Glen State Natural Area, located just outside the Inn’s backdoor.
- Tour some of the most beautiful Frank Lloyd Wright-designed homes in the area surrounding Baraboo, including Taliesin.
- Visit the Wisconsin Dells, an area known for its scenic beauty and incredible water and amusement parks.
- Enjoy a glass of wine or beer at local wineries and brewpubs, including The Corner Pub & Brewery, Moosejaw Pizza & Dells Brewing Company, Port Huron Brewing Company, and Wollersheim Winery. The Driftless Glen Distillery is also a great place to check out.
- Stop in and enjoy some Wisconsin cheese at Carr Valley Cheese Company or Cedar Grove Cheese Factory.
- Go fishing on local rivers and lakes. This area is home to some of Wisconsin’s best trout streams. Popular fishing destinations include Devil’s Lake State Park, Lake Wisconsin, and the Baraboo and Wisconsin Rivers. Try guide services from Lake Wisconsin Guide Service or Twisted Fisher Guide Service, or reach out to our Innkeepers for more information.
- Take a scenic boat tour this summer with Dells Boat Tours, who offer a beautiful tour of the sandstone cliffs along the Wisconsin River, or Princess Kay Riverboat Tours, a Paddlewheeler offering sunset cruises.
Whatever it is you choose to do, let the Inn at Wawanissee be your home away from home. Our luxurious accommodations and captivating vistas will set the scene for a getaway you won’t soon forget. Book your room at our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast today, and get ready for the summer adventure of a lifetime.